Events for People of Color:
- Friday evening, 12/14 from 6-9pm
- Sunday afternoon, 12/16 from 2-5pm
Free ticket required to attend – Donations accepted at the door.
Weekend Workshop – Open to Everyone:
- Saturday, 12/15: 9:30am-12:30pm & 2-5pm and Sunday, 12/16: 9:30am-12:30pm;
Radical Dharma: A Deepening Circle
Radical Dharma is an urgent call to dharma communities to wake from the habitual ways they and their members reproduce and sustain exclusion. Radical Dharma advocates a “new dharma” that deconstructs rather than amplifies systems of suffering, and prepares us to weigh the shortcomings not only of our own minds, but also of our communities. We can only accomplish shifts in awareness through radical honesty, a common ground where we can drop our need for perfection to speak and act from a place of deep vulnerability, and authentic presence. Regardless of how unpleasant this feels or how messy this looks, Radical Dharma emerges out this kind of disarmed honesty, just as a lotus emerges from the mud.
The workshop will serve to:
• create a space where participants can practice radical honesty
• create a space where historically marginalized voices in American sanghas are centered
• investigate how “politics of dis-belonging” plays a role in silencing ourselves and others
• equip participants with tools that can be taken back to their practice communities to continue the work creating radically inclusive and honest communities
This event aims to take the conversation deeper than in previous 2017 Seattle visits from Rev. angel.
Participants who have not yet spent time with Rev. angel are required to have read Radical Dharma AND attended or read/listened to additional investigations of racism in America. Here are a few we strongly recommend:
Undoing Racism Training with People’s Institute for Survival and Beyond
Skill in Action: Radicalizing Your Yoga Practice to Create a Just World by Michelle Johnson
Robin DiAngelo Training or her book White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard For White People to Talk
Unpacking Whiteness Series at 8 Limbs Yoga Centers with Anna-Brown Griswold
Seeing White Scene on Radio Podcast (14 episodes)